Saturday, December 30, 2006

Clean Sweep

Wow, it's amazing how much you can get accomplished when you neglect the blog for a week.

I'm not much for New Years' resolutions but I had several projects I wanted to finish up by the end of 2006.

First, I had a stack of packages I've been meaning to mail for weeks now. But the post office near my work recently closed and the one near my house is inconveniently open only during the hours I'm at work; Saturday, it's a nightmare. So, I've been putting the painful trip off for too long. Spurred by the realization that the post office will be closed on Tuesday because the current POTUS has declared this a Ford four day weekend, I got my arse in gear and braved the crowds.

Packages mailed. Check.

Next, I recently received some amazing unspun wool yarn from Tine and I've been anxious to spin it up into a two-ply.

Picture 392

Picture 393

Picture 398

Picture 400

Spinning accomplished. Check.

Finally, I had several projects on the needles that needed finishing. One is a simple, roll-brim hat knit from my handspun. The other is a mistake rib scarf (worked over 15 stitches on size 13 needles), knit from two skeins of Lion Brand Landscapes yarn:

Picture 402

And, last but not least, I finished a vest I've been working on sporadically for a few weeks now. There's no pattern yet; I made it up as I went along.

Picture 397

It took less than 3 skeins of Paton's Classic Wool and it's very soft and warm. But the best part is that the only real finishing was the two side seams! Both the armholes and the neckline are self-finished.

Picture 404

Simple knit vest. Check.

Don't get me wrong, I've still got plenty of things on the needles (like a pair of mittens, a new shawl design, and more than one pair of socks) but now I feel ready for the new year. *phew*

|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.