Monday, December 18, 2006

Music To My Ears

Last week, one of DS-16's friends came to the house to hang out. He saw me knitting a pair of socks and asked the rhetorical question, "Do you knit?" Um, that would be a "yes."

To make a long story short, I was so enamoured with his seemingly genuine interest in the knitting that I offered to make him a hat in his high school colors. He's a member of the football team and immediately accepted the offer.

SkylineVersion2

Pattern: Live Dangerously, Don't Swatch (96 sts)
Yarn: Lamb's Pride Worsted
Needles: U.S. #8 (5mm)

I worked a tubular cast-off on this hat. Basically I knit the sides until they were just about long enough. Then I worked 4 rnds of 1x1 ribbing but on the last 2 rnds, I knit the knit stitches and just slipped the purl stitches with the yarn held in front. Next, I transferred the knit stitches to one circular needle and the purl stitches to a second circular needle. Then I Kitchenered them together using a very long tail. It makes a stretchy yet firm edge.

Last night, a second of DS's friend (also a football player) came over for latkes and brisket. The hat was perched on the styrofoam head awaiting photographic documentation.

SkylineVersion

I caught Friend #2 glancing repeatedly at the hat and he finally said, "Is that the hat you made for M? He told me about it."
"Yes," I said, "do you want me to make one for you, too?"
He paused for a minute and then said, "Well, if you teach me how to knit, I can make one for myself."

He's coming over tonight for lesson #1.

Teenage boys! You gotta love 'em!

|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.