Monday, January 08, 2007

Happy Anniversary

Tomorrow night our Stitch 'n Bitch group will celebrate its three-year anniversary. Little did Laurie know when she started the group, that it would grow to be the weekly event we each look forward to.

Last year, to celebrate the anniversary, we had a Yankee swap. This year, we're swapping again but there's a theme--Arrowhead Lace. Each swapper was required to make a knitted item incorporating Arrowhead Lace in the pattern. You could make up your own design or knit from a pattern.

There was a dollar limit of $15.00 so to get the most luxury for my buck I bought one skein of Debbie Bliss Pure Silk. That put me right at the spending limit. But, what to make from only 125 meters of yarn? And how to incorporate Arrowhead Lace?

I finished knitting my item last night, right under the wire:

Picture 422


What the hell is it, you might ask. Here's a hint:

Picture 427

A silk yarn bra, of course.

I even covered a piece of foam with some silky fabric and put it in the bottom to help give it a little shape.

Picture 419

Ridiculous? Cute? What do you think?

I filled it with 230 yards of wool yarn, hand-dyed by me.

Picture 424


But best of all, look how little yarn was left:

Picture 421

No kidding.

As for the Debbie Bliss Pure Silk . . . well, it was soft and smooth and nice to knit with. But, as I expected, it is softly spun so it is starting to get fuzzy already. When I bought this skein, one of the employees at the shop tried to talk me into the Debbie Bliss book that supports this yarn. One of the designs in the book is a cabled sweater. I opined that cables knit from softly spun, 100% silk yarn might not stay very crisp and she begged to differ with me. Hmmm . . . I should have put a little money on that one.

|

Running commentary on my unending quest to knit up my stash.